birding-aus

Re: Boobooks,Moreporks et al.

To: Andy Anderson <>
Subject: Re: Boobooks,Moreporks et al.
From: Michael John Ramsey <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 10:56:16 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Andy Anderson wrote:

> I agree with John P. that Oz Boobook is different to NZ Morepork. And I
> hear that Christidis may well try and split Tasmanian off too. Up here we
> think that Red Boobook is definitely a different species again. John Grant
> has just sent a dead one down to Les Christidis for ?DNA analysis.
>
> Andy Anderson
>
> fax/ph 61/70 323387
> Box 7999 Cairns 4870,
> Australia
>
> Andrew P.Anderson's                         Box 7999 Cairns 4870,Australia
>  AUSTRALASIAN BIRDING SERVICES
>  Australia-New Zealand-New Guinea-S.W.Pacific           fax/ph 61/70 323387
>       Showing the Birds of  Australasia  to  the People of the World

 The problem surrounding the Boobook complex is an interesting one. If
subspeies of Ninox novaeseelandiae/boobook were to be split off what would
be the affiliation of the Lord Howe Island (now extinct) and Norfolk
Island birds? Would they become species in their own right or be lumped
with the New Zealand or Australian birds? I would assume the Norfolk
Island subspecies lie with the New Zealand birds as they were found to be
closest to them and now the last female has been mated with New Zealand
males.
 Still on the topic of Ninox owls, has the taxonomic staus of the
Chistmas Island Hawk-owl been determined? If so is it a subspecies of the
Moluccan Hawk-owl as previously thought or is it distinct enough to be a
species. I tend to agree with the latter.

Michael Ramsey
Bundoora, Vic