birding-aus

Re: Vic bustards?

To: hillier lab <>
Subject: Re: Vic bustards?
From: Chris Lester <>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 11:43:09 -0712 (EDT)
On Wed, 07 May 1997 10:14:32 +0000 hillier lab
<> wrote:
>Hi again,
>       I was reading a Vic naturalists newsletter recently and there was an
>article (by R. Silveira I think) on errors in the latest edition of Simpson
>and Day (an extensive list of points).  One interesting note was on the
>presence in Victoria of a resident population of Bustards between the Big and
>Little Deserts.  Does anyone know of the status of this population and
>whether it is likely to survive.
>                                                        Best Wishes
>                                                       John Boyce
John,

A small population continues to exist south of the Big Desert.  It has been
there
a long time, so I presume it should continue to survive, although the numbers
are
quite low and I am not aware of any active management of the species, the
habitat or the potential threats.

Chris Lester
Project Manager, Ports
Coastal and Ports Policy Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
7/250 Victoria Parade
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Phone: 61 3 9412 4987        Fax: 61 3 9412 4392
E-mail: