birding-aus

Re: Vic bustards?

To: "hillier lab" <>, <>
Subject: Re: Vic bustards?
From: "Keith Martin" <>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:40:07 +0200
John..

>       I was reading a Vic naturalists newsletter recently and there was an

> article (by R. Silveira I think) on errors in the latest edition of
Simpson
> and Day (an extensive list of points).  One interesting note was on
the
> presence in Victoria of a resident population of Bustards between the
Big and
> Little Deserts.  Does anyone know of the status of this population
and
> whether it is likely to survive.

I am rather surprised that there appears to be a lack of information
about this population - surely someone has studied them?  If not then
perhaps someone should! Of interest in South Australia is the fairly
regular (annual?) appearance of the odd Bustard in the Lake Alexandrina
region. It has been suggested by several people that these birds are
most likely to have originated from the Victorian population, rather
than being vagrant birds from further inland.

Keith M. Martin                          Tel  +32 16 32 18 62
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven     Fax +32 16 32 19 86
Dept. Elektrotechniek-ESAT
Kardinaal Mercierlaan 94
B-3001 Heverlee
Belgium