birding-aus

Hovering Osprey

To: <>
Subject: Hovering Osprey
From: "Phil Joy" <>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:12:28 +0800
Hi to all,
I was watching an Osprey soaring back and forth over the mangroves recently
when it decided to hover, although this in itself is not unusual, the bird
suddenly commenced to rapidly beat its wings, so fast it almost looked like
a tern, after doing this for some time it finally decided to roost on one
of the masts where the Osprey usually do and we were  able to confirm the
sighting as an Osprey with the aid of binoculars and an experienced birder.
On two further occasions that afternoon I saw the same bird employ the same
hovering technique, at these times though, the Osprey was much closer and
clearly visible.  I was wondering if Osprey hover in this way often and I
haven't seen it before or is this unusual and if so is there any reason for
it such as perhaps a lack of suitable winds, air currents or thermals.
Phil Joy