birding-aus

Nightjars in SE Asia

To: "B. Aus List" <>
Subject: Nightjars in SE Asia
From: Chris Lester <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:33:02 -0712 (EDT)
On a recent trip to Christamas Island, a group from the Bird Observers Club of
Australia saw several nightjars that we initially thought were the Savanna
Nightjars that had previously been recorded there once.  Several identification
anomalies became apparent with this identification when we consulted our
limited
reference library, particularly the call of the birds we heard.

Two problems are preventing us from finalising our description and settling on
an
identification.  The first is an apparent lack of reference books dealing with
SE
Asian nightjars in any detail, as SE Asia is the most likely source of vagrant
nightjars.  Does anyone know of any suitable references and where I might get
them?

I am also seeking tapes of the calls of these species to compare to the call we
recorded.  I have a copy of the Savanna Nightjar call and that of the
Australian
nightjars.  If anyone has copies they would be prepared to give/lend me, they
would prove invaluable.

Chris Lester
Project Manager, Ports
Land Management and Resource Information
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
Phone: 03 9412 4987        Fax: 03 9412 4392
E-mail: