birding-aus

More Leeches!

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: More Leeches!
From: "Keith Martin" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:45:48 +0200
Dear Bloodsucked Ones..

I am enjoying the varied and interesting anti-leech suggestions!!

I have a friend who also swears by the "Indian tailor" technique - or
indeed make your own white "booties" if you are a bit on the crafty
side..

When we were in SE Asia I used an optimally poor technique. Brown boots
and wool socks (not only can you not see the leeches on your boots, but
they cruise in and out your socks with minimal resistance!) There was
very little mess using this technique (which comes very close to
completely ignoring the critters) because there was no chance of a
leech getting stuck inside the shoe and exploding or being crushed....

Another friend, who lives in Thailand, swears by an even more foolhardy
approach - he always goes barefoot. He claims that he sees the leeches
much more easily and just casually flicks off any persistant ones.. and
his laundry bill is negligible..!

And of course the last word should come from the local Malays who
simply laugh at anyone getting concerned about leeches. Leeches are
supposed to purify the soul, so maybe the more you get the luckier you
are! I'm still trying to reconcile myself to this idea...

Keith M. Martin                          Tel  +32 16 32 18 62
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven     Fax +32 16 32 19 86
Dept. Elektrotechniek-ESAT
Kardinaal Mercierlaan 94
B-3001 Heverlee
Belgium