birding-aus

feral trees &c

Subject: feral trees &c
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:45:43 +1000 (EST)
I agree with everything that M.S.O'Keefe says in reply to my posting. We do
have the think carefully about what feral trees to remove and which to leave
as of some wildlife or ecological use.

The only point I was trying to make is that non-native trees in urban
backyards can encourage the trio of feral avian pests and to remove the
trees can incommode them and lead to a local decline in their numbers.

A good example of what M.S.O'Keefe was arguing are the big willows around
Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, currently being removed. Now this gives me
great satisfaction, but I suspect that not many Little Bitterns will be
recorded in the future at Lake BG. The LB is a cosmopolitian species and
presumably doesn't care that the willows are not native to Australia (in
other parts of the bird's range, eg the south of France, it will use them
all the time) and here in Canberra I suspect that such a secretive species
is glad of their cover and the shelter they give to reedbeds.

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA

" Old pond,