birding-aus

GPS units

Subject: GPS units
From: (Desmond Allen)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 20:08:13 +0900
There was some recent discussion of GPS units on the list which I only got
the tail end of so  I hope this isn't asking for duplication.
I have a Garmin GPS 40 which is occasionally handy for finding where I am
in SOUtheast Asia. However, it needs an almost clear sky - it won't pickup
satellites through thick cloud and certainly not through tree leaves. It
also needs a pretty wide horizon to triangulate properly unless the
satellites are in an auspicious configuation. Also if there is a lot of
background "noise" it cannot work out where it is even on a clear day with
wide horizons - eg near the centre of Tokyo. It will only monitor postions
if it continues to have  good view so as a handheld instrument that is
impossible - you have to hold it out in front of you. I can imagine that in
desert/semidesert areas it might come into its own but in my experience,
for me , it was  a waste of money. However, if I can work out how to rig up
a portable aerial - or someone on the list can tell me where I have been
going wrong - maybe I can get better use out of the thing.

Cheers

Des Allen
 Machida Shi, Japan
 e-mail: