birding-aus

Re: Feral pheasant

Subject: Re: Feral pheasant
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 13:14:33 +0800
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Michael Ramsey wrote:
> It would be interesting to know how many other feral pheasants
> people have observed over the years, and of the Common
> Pheasant which has been introduced what its status and
> distribution is ?

The Common Pheasant is very much established on Rottnest Island just off the
coast from Fremantle near Perth in WA.  It is readily observed on the golf
course and various other sites around the island.  It is quite common to see
groups of young running after its parent.  Its call is well worth hearing.

As far as I am aware, this is the only site in Australia where you can
'tick' this introduced species.

Rottnest is also regarded as a site to 'tick' Common Peafowl, although this
could be debatable now that they have moved from the centre of the island
into the settlement to be fed by hand.

PS : Please don't mention the pheasant to Ian MacNamara (Australia All Over)
as it would result in another rendition of < of song deleted&%#@>
:-)

Frank O'Connor