birding-aus

Re: THE DREADED M2

Subject: Re: THE DREADED M2
From: (Paul Foxworthy)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 97 09:58:56 +1000
Lorne Johnson wrote:
> Many birds and mammals, frogs, insects ETC.ETC. have suffered as a
> consequence of this eight lane shitheap.

And Andrew Taylor replied:

>However bad the M2 is, this sort of argument really annoys me.
>The implication is that the M2 has large negative conservation impacts
>and an uninformed reader might well infer this from the statements.

We can oppose projects like this either because of specific dangers to
threatened species, or because we believe that allowing all or most of
them to proceed will ultimately degrade so much of our country that
currently secure species will be threatened too.

While the one concern is more immediate and localised and perhaps even
urgent than the other, in the long term we should be thinking about
prevention as well as cure. Barry Jones in "Sleepers, Wake" used a
phrase: "the urgent crowds out the important".

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
-- Paul Foxworthy --------------------  --
- "Surely you have considered terrorist activity?"