birding-aus

RE: M2 etc

Subject: RE: M2 etc
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:52:11 +0800
I must support Andrew Taylor in his assertion that :

> However bad the M2 is, this sort of argument really annoys me.

and

> Again, the M2 may be a disaster and it may affect other less secure taxa
> adversely,  but this sort of argument in the end is bad for conservation.

Lorne's original posting and especially his response are reasons that make
the argument for conservation harder to win.  They polarise the debate on
both sides.  Andrew quite clearly did not say or infer any of  the following
(his comments were quite to the contrary) :

> You're saying that clearing 21km worth of bushland is GOOD for
birds?????????

> You obviously only care about one species of parrot!!!

> Also... don't tell me that I'm naieve

While Australia's population continues to increase, there will continue to
be more areas cleared for housing, roads, M2s, industry, etc ...but this is
not the forum ....

> P.S. Long live Orange-bellied Parrots and ALLLLLLLL  other animals!

Well maybe not rabbits, foxes, cats, goats, cane toads, starlings,

Frank