birding-aus

Penguins near Portland

Subject: Penguins near Portland
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:25:11 +1100
G'day all

Those who ventured to Portland for the aborted pelagic last weekend
will be most p...ed off about this but there is an Erect-crested
Penguin and a Royal Penguin moulting west of Portland.

The following details are from Ivor Graney of Portland who has seen
both birds.

Erect-crested Penguin:

Has been present for about a week so is not likely to hang around
much longer.

The bird is at White's Beach.  From Portland take the Cashmore Road
(the one which goes past the airport).  Go past Bridgewater Lake.
Take Amos Road to a carpark at the beach.  Around the first point is
a freshwater spring with lots of moss etc.  The bird was in the rocks
here about 3m above the beach.  Last seen Monday 24/2 in late
afternoon.

Royal Penguin:

Has apparently just arrived so would be worth chasing for another
week or so.

Proceed as above but go past Amos Road to a T junction.  Head west to
Bridgewater Bay.  Look across the Bay towards a rusty-roofed
boatshed.  My instructions get a bit hazy at this point but the bird
is just near the boatshed and you get to it from a carpark near the
Snuggle Inn tearoom.

I'm hoping to try for both birds on the weekend but Ivor has kindly
let me give his number.  So if you need more details you can contact
him in the evenings on 0355 295 335.  He will try to keep track of
the birds.

Cheers

Steve Clark