birding-aus

Channel Country

Subject: Channel Country
From: "Karina Bull (03)9524-2347" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:37:58 +1000
Has anyone been out to western Queensland lately since the Channel Country has
flooded? I am interested to find out what may be going on out there with all
the
water covering the landscape. Will there be too much water for birds to be
breeding along the watercourses?

Someone mentioned rats and letterwing kites the other day as well. This area
around Boulia to Birdsville has had some of the biggest long-haired rat plagues
recorded, with consequent increases in letterwing kites. I am hoping that these
very wet conditions will result in another such explosion of activity later
this
year. The really big years have been 1981 and 1992/3. Apparently the rats were
starting to build up last winter when early rains drowned them off.

If anyone has any ideas on what may be happening out there at present then drop
me an email.

Thanks in advance,

Karina Bull