birding-aus

Re: Identifying a night call from the High Country

Subject: Re: Identifying a night call from the High Country
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:00:09 -0812 (EST)
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:46:59 +1100 David McDonald
<> wrote:
>On the evenings of 20/21/22 Feb 1997 my partner and I camped at the
>Thredbo Diggings camp site on the Thredbo River close to Thredbo.
>Each night I heard a call I cannot identify.  It was a highly
>distinctive, high pitched, three note call, just like 'walk-to-work',
>repeated usually three times.  The repeats were in successively
>higher pitches, giving the 'demented' character referred to in field
>guides for some species.
>
>It is highly reminiscent of the Brown Cuckoo-Dove
>Macropygia amboinensis but (1) seems way out of range (latitude OK
>but too far inland),  (2) wrong habitat (Snow Gums & Black Sallees,
>not rain forest!) and (3) the increasing pitch of the repeated calls
>seems unlike the call on the BOCA tape of the Brown Cuckoo-Dove.
>
>Any suggestions?  Perhaps a furred, rather than feathered, animal
>of the night?
Dear David,

I cannot think of  any mammal capable of making noises like this, but one of
the
calls of the Common Koel comes to mind (not the 'coo-ee' or 'ko-el' call).  It
is
often repeated several times, in increasing pitch, but your comments about the
latitude and habitat would seem to apply equally to this species.  Just a
thought,
but listen to it on tape.

Cheers

Ian
Ian Temby
Wildlife Damage Control Officer
Secretary, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association
Flora & Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources & Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC  3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429