birding-aus

RFI - Portland pelagic

To: BIRDING-AUS Mail <>
Subject: RFI - Portland pelagic
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:04:25 +1000 (EET)
Yesterday's Portland pelagic was cancelled just before departure, due to a
late forecast cool change!  A few people went out on a very abbreviated
(and very rough) trip to Lawrence Rocks; anyone on line to tell us what
they saw??

A few of us went down to Cape Nelson & saw squillions of Short-tailed
Shearwaters and Australasian Gannets, a few gulls, Black-faced Cormorants,
and one lonely Black-browed Albatross.

On the way home, we (Stuart Dashper, Susan Myers & I) stopped in at Lake
Martin on the Cressy-Beeac Road.  There we were slightly astonished to see
10 Brolgas (usually only one or two).  Also saw 15+ Cape Barren Geese, a
few Gull-billed Terns, 1000s of Australian Shelducks, etc...

(BTW:  All locations mentioned are in southwestern Victoria, Australia.)

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia