birding-aus

Erect-crested Penguin.....

To: ausbird <>
Subject: Erect-crested Penguin.....
From: "Hicks, Roger" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 06:39:00 +1000
This weekend while showing a non-birding visitor the sights of
Victoria's Great Ocean Road we happened upon an unusual penguin on the
beach immediately north of the 12 Apostles viewing platform.
We tentatively identified it as an immature Erect-crested Penguin,
mainly based on the pattern on the underside of the flipper, but none of
my guide books show the immature plumage of an ECP. (Slater et al,
Simpson & Day, and Harrison). There had been very strong winds from the
SE the preceding day and night.

I have taken full field notes. To whom should I send the description? If
anybody else sees this bird could they please let me know what they
think.

Cheers

Roger Hicks

- -  -
Roger Hicks                     Tel :   03-9315-0353 (home)
3 Seaview Crescent,                     03-9865-8613 (work)
Altona
Victoria 3018                   E-mail:
Australia
- -  - -