birding-aus

Will Point Lillias be next on the Chopping Block?

Subject: Will Point Lillias be next on the Chopping Block?
From: R D Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:21:46 +1100
More from the ABC Radio Newslink site: http://www.abc.net.au/news/

This is about the man who holds the future of Point Lillias in his grimy hands
(and the future of how many more remnants of our heritage?):

Environment Minister, Robert Hill, says a Federal Court verdict in
favour of north Queensland's Port Hinchinbrook resort confirms he
exercised his Ministerial responsibilities properly.

The Court today dismissed a case against the Environment Minister
brought by the Friends of Hinchinbrook.

Senator Hill says his department went to great effort to ensure the
development could be carried out and still preserve the area's world
heritage values.

He says the Court almost commended his department on its precautionary approach.

I wonder how he defined "world heritage values" ??  And even more difficult is
how he
determined that these values would be preserved.  The best (worst??) bit is the
'almost
commended' - politispeak at its most sinister!  No wonder Hill has risen to the
Ministry,
with such an ability say absolutely nothing factual, but imply much.

Our condolences go to those who worked so hard to prevent this development -
yet another
example of governments allowing national reserves to be used for the personal
profit of
individuals.  Look out Wilson's Prom and Great Ocean road...

Russell Woodford
Geelong
Victoria