birding-aus

Re: Zino's Petrel

To: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Subject: Re: Zino's Petrel
From: (John Penhallurick)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 03:44:19 +1000
Zino's Petrel is an English synonmym for Madeira Petrel (P.madeirae), if my
memory serves me aright.  If not that, it's P.feae.

John Penhallurick

>Yesterday I received some mail from "Birdlife International" looking for
>donations to help save the world's rarest breeding seabird. A bird called
>the Zino's Petrel. It must be very rare I have never heard of it.  Can
>anyone tell me the latin name or any other details? is it one of the
>Soft-plumaged Types?
>
>The article reads:
>"Zino's Petrel Europe's rarest breeding seabird with only 20-30 pairs
>left in the world. Eggs, Chicks and adults are often killed by rats and
>cats.  In just one year 10 adults were killed - an absolute disaster
>given their low numbers. We must ensure adequate protection of breeding
>ledges if this bird is to have a chance of survival.
>
>Other depressing news mentioned in this paper includes:
>
>Lesser White fronted Goose population fallen by 90% since 1940's
>Corncrake population down 50% in 10 years.
>Imperial Eagle declining rapidly.
>Lesser Kestrel, only 5000 remain having declined from a population
> of 50,000 only 16 years ago
>

>PS I would have thought Fiji Petrel would have been rarer?
>

>Regards
>Tony Palliser  (.....Sydney, Australia)
>Phone.....+61 2 9900 1678 or Home +61 2 9427 7563
>Fax.......+61 2 9900 1669
>http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser

Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 6) 201 2346   AH (61 6 2585428)
FAX (61 6) 258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra, PO Box 1, BELCONNEN, A.C.T.2616,
AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"