birding-aus

Highlights of 1996

Subject: Highlights of 1996
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 10:11:31 +1000
I realise that this is a little late but I've only recently managed to
get "online".Last year I was lucky enough to tally up a year list of 409
species which I thought was pretty good though rather tiring! Highlights
were many but included Inland Dotteral at Mildura,Southern Cassowary and
Noisy Pitta at Mission Beach,Plainswanderer at Deniliquin,Mallee
Emu-wren at Hattah,Superb Parrot at Barmah (what a sexy bird!),and many
more.The year was finished off at Tarra-Bulga on 30/12 when a male Pink
Robin came and posed in front of us.Spectacular! A trip to Fiji also
bagged us a few lifers including gems like Orange Dove, Collared Lory,
Velvet Dove etc. Lowlight was missing the Silktail but we won't talk
about that...Back in Australia, mammals such as Brush-tailed
Phascogale,  Western Pygmy-possum,Lemuroid Ringtail etc were also high
on my list of goodies! Good luck to everyone in 1997!

Susan Myers