birding-aus

Year in Review -

Subject: Year in Review -
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 10:15:49 gmt
     Hello from Ireland

     As people are now beginning to remember the year past, it is a very
     suitable time for me to take this opportunity to say a big thanks to
     the many people who repsonded to my request for information on
     Australia.

     Three of us spent the month of November, birding from Cairns,
     Atherton, Georgetown, to Brisabne and Lamington, then on to Sydney,
     Jervis Bay, Woolongong, Deniliquin and finally Glen Davis...with a few
     other stops on the way!!! (4,000 miles worth of driving).

     In total we saw 378 species including Plains-wanderer (thanks to Phil
     Maher) and Grass Owl in Atherton. There were so many other highlights
     that space here would not allow a full list.

     I would therefore like to thank everyone for their information, all
     their advice, and in many cases their company when in Australia. We
     would not have had such a successful trip were it not for Birding-aus
     and the generosity of it's members.

     I would also like to take this chance to comment on what became our
     bible when birding there...the new 'Complete Guide to Finding Birds in
     Australia' by Sarah and Richard Thomas. We secured a copy of this book
     from Sarah before we left and found their information to be incredibly
     accurate. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone considering
     going on a trip to Australia, or, I'm sure for anyone in Australia.
     The directions and maps etc were excellent.

     To end, I would like to wish the many people who, over the past months
     I have corresponded with via Birding-aus, and who, during November, I
     actually met,a great Christmas and a successful 1997.

     Eric Dempsey
     Dublin