birding-aus

re: Listing dilemma

To: <>
Subject: re: Listing dilemma
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 15:46:27 +60000
When a question came up some time ago on counting birds as lifers if you've
seen them on television, I commented that "how could you in your heart count
them as a lifer if you haven't really seen the bird in the wild - in life -
doing it's thing naturally".

I would make the same comment about this:  how could those birdos in their
heart count the bird as a Minnesota bird in the circumstances where the bird
did not cross the river in fully natural circumstances?  They can do this
because they're not really "birdwatchers" doing it for the love of the hobby -
they're merely chasing numbers - and I would suggest that the listing should
be disallowed.

We don't want birdwatching as a hobby (and serious interest to many) brought
to ridicule by these sorts of activities.  It could also endanger conservation
efforts and projects if people who are not pro-conservation could quote
stories like this, as conservation often relates to specific sites.

Regards
Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW