birding-aus

American Golden Plover at Mason Park ??

To: <>
Subject: American Golden Plover at Mason Park ??
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 96 13:30:19 +60000
On Friday 18 October I went to Mason Park (Homebush) for an hour following
Keith Brandwood's report of a possible American Golden Plover there.  Could
only see 8 Pacific Golden Plovers in full non-breeding plumage there and
nothing even remotely different.  There was some water there.

Following discussion with Keith on Friday night, I went to Mason Park again
yesterday (3 November) for an hour.  Mason Park is now dry.  There were 12
Golden Plovers comprising the following:

8 Pacific Golden Plovers in full non-breeding plumage (i.e. probably the same
8 birds as two weeks ago)

3 Pacific Golden Plovers with some black mottling on breast, thus being new
arrivals and to my mind, quite clearly Pacific Golden Plovers

1 Golden Plover with some black mottling on breast as a new arrival.  Note
that this mottling was on the front of the breast and did NOT go up to the
flanks.  This bird had the whiter and more distinctive eyebrow that Keith
advises as one of the field marks of an American Golden Plover.  It also had a
more solid dark crown, rather than a mottled crown, but this may reflect
breeding plumage.  Otherwise, the birds sat amongst the saltmarsh and it was
difficult to get any decent views of this bird's primary feather tips and
tail.

Shall keep trying!

Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW