birding-aus

Re: Australian binocular costs

Subject: Re: Australian binocular costs
Date: 27 Oct 96 20:38:17 +1100

Julian B. asked :

>Both my wife and I are in the market for a new pair of binoculars; either
>the Zeiss 10x40B or their main rivals, the Leica 10x42B.
>
>Anyone with any opinions, data on these?  I'd appreciate an objective
survey
>of users rather than salesperson's prattle.

I have Leica 8x42B which are excellent.  These are otherwise the same as
10x42B.

They are a bit heavy (~1kg) but well balanced.  The strap is a bit thin, but
not too uncomfortable.  They are gas filled and hence waterproof (but so
are Zeiss??).

I have dropped/knocked them slightly a few times without any damage.

I don't wear glasses, so pulling out the eyepieces is slightly annoying, but
suspect that I will have glasses in the not too distant future, and so this
would
be a benefit.

Optically, they are excellent.  They are very easy to set the right eye
adjustment, and then to lock the setting and forget about it thereafter
unless
I lend them to someone.

I would buy them again, although I would again think about 10x42B vs 8x42B.
I use a scope most of the time so the wider field of view of the 8x42 is
often
better than the higher magnification.

About scopes, I am considering buying a new one.  Does anyone have any
comments?  I am thinking about the new Kowa fluorite 82mm, probably with a
20-60x zoom, and/or 32x wide angle.  I intend to do a lot more seabird
watching from cliffs, plus I am regularly wader watching.