birding-aus

Re: Oz field guides

Subject: Re: Oz field guides
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 9:58:29 EST10
I think the plates in Simpson and Day are far superior to any of the other
field guides out at the moment. It is the only one I recommend!!
Cheers
Phil Hansbro

Poor old Graham Pizzey!

The small Slater may be the easiest ot carry around for general birding BUT
- if you are new here and don't know the areas then the 1980 PIZZEY guide
offers THE BEST AND MOST USEFUL descriptions and information within the text
on distribution of birds within Australia. You imagine using a small map on
a continent the size of the US and all of a sudden you will see the
importance of a well defined distribution list.

I would not take the Simpson and Day into the field at all, though it does
contain a lot of information that may be useful in the room at night!

There is also talk of an update due mid year of a new PIZZEY, with new
plates which would just be brilliant if the plates are good.

Good birding
Alan

Alan McBride
P O Box 190