birding-aus

Best Birding Experiences for 1995

Subject: Best Birding Experiences for 1995
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 23:56:01 +1000 (EST)
There have been some great times this year, so forgive my indulgence.
I'm listing a few:

1. February     My first Pelagic (from Portland) and a whole bag of ticks,
                but best of all was seeing albatrosses close enough to
                touch.

2. March        Birding in the Sime Road Forest (Singapore) with
                Lau Won-Soon and looking through his telescope to see
                THREE new species in one go (as well as a few others the
                same day).

3. April                My first ever Barbets (2 species) and Trogon (Scarlet-
                rumped).

4. September    First sightings of Brolga and Crested Bellbird
                The Bellbird calls took my breath away!

5. October      My first Twitchathon.

6.      Probably the longest-lasting 'highlight' of the year has been
        birding-aus itself - or I should say all the people who ARE
        birding-aus.  I've learned a lot, laughed a lot, and made some
        great friends through this group -so thanks to all of you who
        keep it ticking over.  This group is for US (the birdwatchers)
        as well as for the BIRDS themselves - so let's all hope for a
        bigger and better birding year in 1996 - hopefully for both the
        birds AND for us.

Happy New Year to you all!

Russell Woodford