birding-aus

Unusal Nesting Places of the White-browed Scrubwren

Subject: Unusal Nesting Places of the White-browed Scrubwren
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 17:49:31 +1100
In the December, 1995, issue of LYREBIRD TALES, the newsletter of the Yarra
Valley Branch of the BOC, Brian Mitchell reported a White-browed Scrubwren
nesting within the coils of extension leads and a leadlight hanging in his
garden shed.

`Scrubbies` seem to like nesting in sheds. Last year a pair used a barbecue
meat rack hanging in our shed for its nesting site. This year these birds
(same pair?) excelled themselves. For the first brood they chose a bike
helmet in which to place their nest, and for an encore placed their nest on
the top of a bunch of garden stakes.

I will submit these observations to LYREBIRD TALES but before I do I wonder
if others have had any interesting experiences with scrubwren nest sites.

Noel Arnold