birding-aus

Waders at Kooragang Island

Subject: Waders at Kooragang Island
From: Trevor Quested <>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 19:15:26 +1000 (EST)
Gerry & Lucy Richards Cilla Quested & I went up to Kooragang Island at
the mouth of the Hunter River to see if any waders were back yet. Some were.
We saw 80 Red Knot, 4 Great Knot, 330 Far-eastern Curlew, 4 Whimbril, 150
Bar-tailed Godwit, 4 Black-tailed Godwit, 10 Red capped Plover, 800
Red-necked Avocet

At Sandgate Lagoon we saw 6 Latham's Snipe but feel there could have been
many more.

There has been much work done for the waders beside the bridge with an
excellent roosting area completed in time for the return of the smaller
waders.

Trevor Quested
Sydney Australia