New Publication on Classification of Bottlenose Dolphin Whistles Using C

To: <>
Subject: New Publication on Classification of Bottlenose Dolphin Whistles Using Compressive Sensing
From: Mahdi Esfahanian <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:43:42 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce our recently published paper in JASA journal. You can find the paper at the following link:

M.Esfahanian, H. Zhuang, N. Erdol

Sparse Representation for Classification of Dolphin Whistles by Type
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 136, EL1 (2014)

Abstract:
A compressive-sensing approach called Sparse Representation Classifier (SRC) is applied to the classification of bottlenose dolphin whistles by type. The SRC algorithm constructs adictionary of whistles from the collection of training whistles. In the classification phase, an unknown whistle is represented sparsely by a linear combination of the training whistles and then the call class can be determined with an l 1-norm optimization procedure. Experimental studies conducted in this research reveal the advantages and limitations of the proposed method against some existing techniques such as K-Nearest Neighbors and Support Vector Machines in distinguishing different vocalizations.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you don't have access to the paper at

Best,

--
Mahdi Esfahanian
Ph.D Candidate