Detection Classification and Localisation Workshop. St Andrews. 12-15 Ju

To: "" <>
Subject: Detection Classification and Localisation Workshop. St Andrews. 12-15 June 2013
From: Douglas Gillespie <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:41:18 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

You are invited to submit abstracts to The 6th International Workshop on Detection, Classification, Localization, & Density Estimation (DCL&DE) of Marine Mammals using Passive Acoustics, to be held in St Andrews, Scotland 12 – 15 June, 2013.

In line with previous workshops, we have prepared an annotated dataset of sounds which participants are encouraged to use in order that different detection algorithms can be effectively compared. For details of the workshop dataset, click here. We will however be happy to consider abstracts tackling any aspect of Detection, Classification, Localisation and Density Estimation of marine mammals using passive acoustics.

Abstracts should be submitted using the form provided on the workshop web site (http://soi.st-andrews.ac.uk/dclde2013) and emailed direct to the organisers at =DCLDE%202013.

The primary purpose of the DCL workshops is to advance the development of algorithms and analytical techniques for the Detection, Classification, Localisation and Density Estimation of marine mammals.

Abstracts will be assessed using the following criteria:

1.       Relevance to the topics of DCL&DE.

2.       Presentation of advances in the field.

3.       Presentation of a clear strategy for assessing algorithm performance.

Participants will be encouraged to participate in open discussions of how and why their algorithms work as they do and the factors which limit or might enhance their performance.

While there will still be specific sessions at the workshop dedicated to Density Estimation, these sessions will no longer all be on the last day – for the simple reason that we feel that those of us who are developing detection and classification algorithms need to be fully aware of how those detections might be used and should not be given the opportunity of going home early and missing these vital talks !

On the abstract submission form you will be asked to express a preference for poster or oral presentation. While we will endeavour to meet each person’s preference for poster or oral presentation, space and time constraints mean that this may not always be possible. Posters will be available for viewing throughout the four days of the workshop in the foyer area we’ll be using for coffee and lunch each day.

Deadlines

Abstracts should be submitted by Sunday 17 March.

Authors will be notified of abstract acceptance by the end of April.

Workshop Registration

Online workshop registration will hopefully be open within the next few weeks (we’re just waiting on some possible sponsorship which will fix the final price !).

Douglas Gillespie

Sea Mammal Research Unit,

Scottish Oceans Institute,

University of St Andrews,

St Andrews, KY16 8LB

Scotland.

Tel: +44 1334 462663

Fax: +44 1334 463443

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532