Bioacoustic papers in Behaviour vol. 147 no. 9 (July 2010) & no. 10 (Aug

To: "" <>
Subject: Bioacoustic papers in Behaviour vol. 147 no. 9 (July 2010) & no. 10 (August 2010)
From: Frank Veit <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:57:58 +0200
(Abstracts below)

Bioacoustic papers in Behaviour 147-9
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/beh/2010/00000147/00000009

Marquez, R, J Bosch & X Eekhout (2010) Intensity of female preference for call source level in midwife toads Alytes cisternasii and A. obstetricans. Behaviour 147: 1185-1199.

Digweed, SM & D Rendall (2010) Are the alarm calls of North American red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) functionally referential? Behaviour 147: 1201-1218.

Bioacoustic papers in Behaviour 147-10
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/beh/2010/00000147/00000010

Foote, JR, LP Fitzsimmons, DJ Mennill & LM Ratcliffe (2010) Black-capped chickadee dawn choruses are interactive communication networks. Behaviour 147: 1219-1248.

Bertram, SM, VLM Rook & LP Fitzsimmons (2010) Strutting their stuff: victory displays in the spring field cricket, Gryllus veletis. Behaviour 147: 1249-1266.

Abstracts

Marquez, Rafael, J Bosch & X Eekhout (2010) Intensity of female preference for call source level in midwife toads Alytes cisternasii and A. obstetricans. Behaviour 147: 1185-1199.
We address the question of whether female preference exerts selection on male calling energy (souce level). We investigate whether female midwife toads express a preference between advertisement calls that have different source levels but that reach them with similar intensities (due to differences in distance). Females were presented with pairs of recordings of identical synthetic calls, recorded at the same location in the field site, and reaching the microphone at similar sound levels (69 dB peak SPL). Stimulus 'Hi source level' was recorded two meters away from the sound source but emitted with higher sound intensity, and stimulus 'Low source level' was recorded one meter away from the source but emitted with lower source level. We use a protocol of 'playback setpoints' for tests with no a priori expectations. We did not find evidence of female preference for source level in either species. Alytes obstetricans females reversed their choice when differences in intensity were lower, suggesting lower selectivity during the approach phase. We conclude that any selection on male call intensity is unlikely to occur, possibly being severely limited by calling location (male-female distance) and by transmission conditions.

Digweed, SM & D Rendall (2010) Are the alarm calls of North American red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) functionally referential? Behaviour 147: 1201-1218.
North American red squirrels are a small-bodied and solitary-living species that faces a diversity of predators and produces two different variants of alarm calls in response to them. Recent studies have yielded conflicting interpretations of the predator-specific and functionally referential nature of these alarm call variants. We undertook a systematic set of playback experiments to quantify the responses of red squirrels to alarm calls produced by other squirrels during encounters with different predators. The experiment was designed to test a core requirement of functionally referential alarm calls, namely that different alarm call types induce distinct and functionally appropriate escape responses in listeners. Results indicated that squirrels registered and responded to alarm calls produced by others; however, their responses were not differentiated according to the type of alarm call they heard and, thus, did not provide evidence that the different alarm call variants hold any predator-specific, referential value. These outcomes are discussed in light of complementary work on alarm call production in red squirrels and broader aspects of this species' life history in an effort to better understand the necessary and sufficient pressures promoting the evolution of referential call systems in animals.

Foote, JR, LP Fitzsimmons, DJ Mennill & LM Ratcliffe (2010) Black-capped chickadee dawn choruses are interactive communication networks. Behaviour 147: 1219-1248.
The dawn chorus of songbirds provides an ideal opportunity to study communication networks because multiple singers are within signalling range of each other, permitting eavesdropping by both males and females. Using an Acoustic Location System, we examined the dawn chorus singing behaviour of male black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) in 15 neighbourhoods to determine whether singing behaviour is consistent with the communication network model. We calculated levels of frequency matching for 19 focal males and all of their neighbours. The observed level of frequency matching was greater than expected by chance. All males were involved in multi-way matching at dawn and often matched two or three neighbours simultaneously. The identity of individuals involved in three-way matches was related to both previous winter-flock membership and the relative dominance rank of the interacting males. We show that male black-capped chickadee dawn choruses are interactive communication networks where males are involved in high levels of matching with neighbours, and they match multiple individuals both simultaneously and sequentially. Additionally, the existence of multi-way matching and the identities of individuals involved suggest that individual males may eavesdrop at dawn. This is the first study to quantify network communication during the dawn chorus in multiple neighbourhoods.

Bertram, SM, VLM Rook & LP Fitzsimmons (2010) Strutting their stuff: victory displays in the spring field cricket, Gryllus veletis. Behaviour 147: 1249-1266.
Contest winners may perform victory displays at the conclusion of agonistic contests. Victory displays are hypothesized to function in browbeating or advertisement. To date, victory displays have received little attention. Following agonistic contests, several field cricket species produce aggressive songs and shake their body forwards and backwards (body jerks). We examined 20 agonistic contests between field-captured adult male spring field crickets, Gryllus veletis. We characterized the aggressive songs and body jerks that occurred both during and immediately following conflicts to evaluate whether these behaviours should be classified as victory displays. Aggressive songs and body jerks were observed throughout the contests, not just immediately following the conclusion of the fight. Winner aggressive song and body jerk rates were higher during the post-conflict period than during the fight period. Further, while both winners and losers performed aggressive songs and body jerks, winners performed them at five times the rate of the losers during the post-conflict period. We conclude that aggressive songs and body jerks should be considered victory displays, and that these victory displays may function as both browbeating and advertisement.