Bioacoustic articles in Animal Behaviour and Ethology - June, July, Augu

Subject: Bioacoustic articles in Animal Behaviour and Ethology - June, July, August 2010
From: Ilse van Opzeeland <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:38:23 +0200
Bioacoustic articles in Animal Behaviour and Ethology â June, July, August 2010

Animal Behaviour, Volume 79, Issue 6, Pages 1181-1404 (June 2010)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00033472

Giant pandas perceive and attend to formant frequency variation in male bleats.
Pages 1221-1227
Benjamin D. Charlton, Zhang Zhihe, Rebecca J. Snyder

Interaction between signal timing and signal feature preferences: causes and
implications for sexual selection.
Pages 1257-1266
Gerlinde HÃbel

Black-capped chickadees, Poecile atricapillus, can use individually distinctive
songs to discriminate among conspecifics.
Pages 1267-1275
David R. Wilson, Daniel J. Mennill

Multimodal signalling in a songbird: male audiovisual displays vary
significantly by social context in brown-headed cowbirds.
Pages 1285-1292
Adrian L. OâLoghlen, Stephen I. Rothstein

Testing an auditory illusion in frogs: perceptual restoration or sensory bias?
Pages 1317-1328
Folkert Seeba, Joshua J. Schwartz, Mark A. Bee

Whistle duration and consistency reflect philopatry and harem size in great
reed warblers.
Pages 1363-1372
Ewa WÄgrzyn, Konrad Leniowski, Tomasz S. Osiejuk

Aerial alarm calling by male fowl (Gallus gallus) reveals subtle new mechanisms
of risk management.
Pages 1373-1380
Artemi Kokolakis, Carolynn L. Smith, Christopher S. Evans

Forum article: Animal communication between information and influence.
Pages e1-e5
Andrea Scarantino

Animal Behaviour, Volume 80, Issue 1, Pages 1-172 (July 2010)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00033472

Essay: The central importance of information in studies of animal communication.
Pages 3-8
Robert M. Seyfarth, Dorothy L. Cheney, Thore Bergman, Julia Fischer, Klaus
ZuberbÃhler, Kurt Hammerschmidt

A dual function of echolocation: bats use echolocation calls to identify
familiar and unfamiliar individuals.
Pages 59-67
Silke L. Voigt-Heucke, Michael Taborsky, Dina K.N. Dechmann

Meerkat close calls encode group-specific signatures, but receivers fail to
discriminate.
Pages 133-138
Simon W. Townsend, Linda I. HollÃn, Marta B. Manser

A precedence effect underlies preferences for calls with leading pulses in the
grey treefrog, Hyla versicolor.
Pages 139-145
Vincent T. Marshall, H. Carl Gerhardt

Animal Behaviour, Volume 80, Issue 2, Pages 173-348 (August 2010)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00033472

A novel female call incites maleâfemale interaction and maleâmale competition
in the Emei music frog, Babina daunchina.
Pages 181-187
Jianguo Cui, Yusheng Wang, Steve Brauth, Yezhong Tang

>From preferential response to parental calls to sex-specific response to
>conspecific calls in juvenile zebra finches.
Pages 189-195
Hervà Mulard, ClÃmentine Vignal, Lise Pelletier, Alain Blanc, Nicolas Mathevon

Neighbourhood watch: multiple alarm callers communicate directional predator
movement in Richardsonâs ground squirrels, Spermophilus richardsonii.
Pages 269-275
Amy B. Thompson, James F. Hare

Asymmetric discrimination of geographical variation in song in a migratory
passerine.
Pages 311-318
Gabriel J. Colbeck, T. Scott Sillett, Michael S. Webster

Forum: Animals in translation: why there is meaning (but probably no message)
in animal communication.
Pages e1-e6
E. Font, P. Carazo

Ethology, Volume 116 Issue 6, Pages 481-577 (June 2010)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eth.2010.116.issue-6/issuetoc

Statistical and Prosodic Cues for Song Segmentation Learning by Bengalese
Finches (Lonchura striata var. domestica)
Pages 481â489
Miki Takahasi, Hiroko Yamada and Kazuo Okanoya

Enemy Recognition of Reed Warblers (Acrocephalus scirpaceus): Threats and
Reproductive Value Act Independently in Nest Defence Modulation
Pages 498â508
Daniela Campobello and Spencer G. Sealy

What Makes Vocalisation Frequency an Unreliable Signal of Body Size in Birds? A
Study on Black Swans
Pages 554â563
Rakhee Patel, Raoul A. Mulder and GonÃalo C. Cardoso

Assessing Acoustic Signal Variability and the Potential for Sexual Selection
and Social Recognition in Boreal Chorus Frogs (Pseudacris maculata)
Pages 564â576
Mark A. Bee, Jenna M. Cook, Elliot K. Love, Lisa R. OâBryan, Beth A. Pettitt,
Katrina Schrode and Alejandro VÃlez

Ethology, Volume 116 Issue 7, Pages 579-679 (July 2010)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eth.2010.116.issue-7/issuetoc

Singing the Popular Songs? Nightingales Share More Song Types with Their
Breeding Population in Their Second Season than in Their First
Pages 619â626
Sarah Kiefer, Christina Sommer, Constance Scharff and Silke Kipper

Song Learning in Song Sparrows: Relative Importance of Autumn vs. Spring
Tutoring
Pages 653â661
Brigid Nulty, John M. Burt, ÃaÄlar AkÃay, Christopher N. Templeton, S.
Elizabeth Campbell and Michael D. Beecher

Eavesdropping on Male Singing Interactions Leads to Differential Allocation in
Eggs
Pages 662â670
Violaine Garcia-Fernandez, Mathieu Amy, Andrà Lacroix, Giorgio Malacarne and
GÃrard Leboucher

Ethology, Volume 116 Issue 8, Pages 681-786 (August 2010)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eth.2010.116.issue-8/issuetoc

Geographical and individual variation in echolocation calls of the intermediate
leaf-nosed bat, Hipposideros larvatus
Pages 691â703
Tinglei Jiang, Rong Liu, Walter Metzner, Yuyan You, Shi Li, Sen Liu and Jiang
Feng

Vocal Discrimination in Mate Guarding Male Australian Sea Lions: Familiarity
Breeds Contempt
Pages 704â712
Marie R. G. Attard, Benjamin J. Pitcher, Isabelle Charrier, Heidi Ahonen and
Robert G. Harcourt

Singing Activity Reveals Personality Traits in Great Tits
Pages 763â769
Marc Naguib, Agnieszka Kazek, Sonja V. Schaper, Kees Van Oers and Marcel E.
Visser

I.C. Van Opzeeland
Alfred Wegener Institute
for Polar and Marine Research