Archiving RDat

To: <>
Subject: Archiving RDat
From: "Jonathan Gordon" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:15:34 -0000

I’m facing the problem of backing up recordings from R Dat tapes before playback machines disappear completely and I wonder whether anyone on the list has a neat way of copying recordings from a large number of R Dat tapes to a computer hard drive.   An ideal solution would be a piece of software that reads the time and date header at the beginning of each recording on the tape and then uses this in the file name.

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan Gordon

Dr Jonathan Gordon,
Sea Mammal Research Unit, Scottish Oceans Institute,
Gatty Laboratory, University of Saint Andrews,

Saint Andrews
Fife KY16 8LB
Tel. 0131 208 1541 (o) Mobile 07866 267814
Fax 01334 462632
Digital Messaging Service
Voice 07020-964-330, Fax 07020-964-334
Skype: EcologicUK

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532