[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Fwd: wing and tail sounds

To: Dave Mellinger <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: wing and tail sounds
From: Brian M Napoletano <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:16:15 -0400
The only other term I've heard is "non-vocal sound" (e.g. Birds of North
America). You could also try to find the technical term for a cricket's
"chirp", and build something off of that.


Dave Mellinger wrote:
> This is forwarded from  via "pjgaddis"
> <>.  Please copy any replies to NEOORN-L and the
> original sender.
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Many birds (e.g. ducks, guans, snipes, hummingbirds, doves, nighthawks,
> etc.
> etc.) produce aerodynamic sounds with their wings and/or tail as they
> fly.  Is anyone aware of a formal term for this type of sound?  The only
> name I know is a "wing whistle".   But this name is informal--
> aerodynamically speaking, the mechanism is emphatically NOT a whistle. 
> I've
> been casting around for other names for it (feather tones? aerodynamic
> wing/tail sounds?), but these seem a bit inelegant.  Bioacoustics is not my
> specialty, so anyone has ideas regarding what these kinds of sounds
> could be
> called, I would appreciate the input!
> Sincerely,
> -Chris Clark

Temi Solo Dio

Brian M. Napoletano

Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
Purdue University
195 Marstellar St., Forestry Rm. 204
West Lafayette, IN, 47906-2033

tel: 765.496.1216
cel: 765.543.8929
fax: 765.496.1216

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Bioacoustics-L mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU