[Top] [All Lists]

Fwd: wing and tail sounds

Subject: Fwd: wing and tail sounds
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:28:11 -0700
This is forwarded from  via "pjgaddis" 
<>.  Please copy any replies to NEOORN-L and the original sender.

Many birds (e.g. ducks, guans, snipes, hummingbirds, doves, nighthawks, etc.
etc.) produce aerodynamic sounds with their wings and/or tail as they
fly.  Is anyone aware of a formal term for this type of sound?  The only
name I know is a "wing whistle".   But this name is informal--
aerodynamically speaking, the mechanism is emphatically NOT a whistle.  I've
been casting around for other names for it (feather tones? aerodynamic
wing/tail sounds?), but these seem a bit inelegant.  Bioacoustics is not my
specialty, so anyone has ideas regarding what these kinds of sounds could be
called, I would appreciate the input!
-Chris Clark

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Bioacoustics-L mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU