Re: Recording devices

Subject: Re: Recording devices
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:07:50 +0100
Hi Ruediger,

   DAT recorders are now obsolete and it is becoming very difficult
to repair them when faulty. The way to go now is solid state
recording.  A good DAT alternative solution could be a M-Audio
MicroTrack 2496. It is a compact CompactFlash recorder; this means you
must buy a number of CF memories depending on how many hours you plan
to record before transferring the digital files to a computer for
definitive storage. The cost is around $400 to which you should add
the memories: a 4GB CF now costs less than $100 (you don't need the
fast and expensive CFs for digital cameras) and allows recording more
than 5 hours with DAT quality (two channels, 48 kHz sampling, 16 bit).
If you have one hydrophone only you can record 1 channel wav files to
double the storage duration to about 11 hours; you can also record at
96 kHz to get a frequency range of up to 44 kHz (at the low freq end
the response is -3dB at 8 Hz, thus suitable for large whales!); of
course, the cost of this is halving the storage duration. If more
recording time is needed you can switch to MP3 but you need to
consider the drawbacks.  It also allows recording with 24 bits, but
normally you don't need this because the noise of the system
(environment+hydrophone+preamplifier+recorder) may mask the 24 bit
advantages...  As with a DAT recorder you need to carefully choose how
to couple your hydrophone to the recorder inputs.  As it has internal
not replaceable rechargeable batteries, you should also consider
buying an external battery box with a mini USB connector (you can also
easily build one) to provide additional power in the field.
Advantages vs. DAT: direct copy of wav files to PC, no moving
mechanical parts, no head wear, not sensitive to humidity, no
immediate obsolescence, much more reliable and flexible (1 or 2
channels, up to 96 kHz sampling, linear wav or MP3).

About the M-Audio, I could also say that Nauta-rcs (www.nauta-rcs.it)
has developed a timer board to be installed in the M-Audio (it
replaces the battery and thus you need to provide external power); by
connecting it to a serial port on a PC you can program the recording
schedule.

The only problem of M-Audio is that the P48 powering is not standard
and the microphone preamplifiers are a bit noisy, and thus the unit
may be not suitable for recording very quiet sounds. It's otherwise
certain that the digital input does not perform digital resampling,
and thus you can eventually use it to digitally record from a high
quality mic preamplifier and A/D. This could be, for instance, the
CoreSound Mic2496 or any other A/D you like.

If you can spend more then there are more choices, but nothing special
for less than $1K.  If you can wait, there are two new promising
models expected to come out in early 2007 (Fostex and Korg).  Another
option is the very new ZOOM H4 recorder, about $300; people recording
music appreciate it, but I've never tested it and thus I can't be sure
it has all the features (quality, usability, reliability) I would
like.  For a general overview on solid-state recorders and the hidden
features of digital systems, visit our web pages at

   http://www.unipv.it/cibra/edu_equipment_uk.html and
   http://www.unipv.it/cibra/res_techtest_uk.html

Gianni

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel         +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921