TASCAM HD-P2

To: <>
Subject: TASCAM HD-P2
From: "Cetacean Research Technology" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:38:23 EDT
In the recent Marine Sound Collection Newsletter, there is a reference to
new compact flash recording devices.  One is the TASCAM HD-P2.  This is a
device for which I was anxiously awaiting release for more than a year,
since my company is a TASCAM dealer.  However, I am very disappointed by the
official frequency response specifications and do not recommend it based on
price vs. performance.  Even though is has a 192kHz sample rate, the
frequency response at 80kHz is down by 20dB. It's even down by 4dB at 40kHz.
See specs from the device manual below.

MIC to LINE OUT: 20 to 40 kHz 0.5 dB/-4.0 dB (88.2 kHz/96 kHz)
                 20 to 80 kHz 0.5 dB/-20 dB (176.4 kHz/192 kHz)

Since this is a response from mic in to line out, there is the possibility
that the mic in to recorded file response may be flat to 80kHz.  However,
until somebody can measure this, I would stick with the Fostex FR-2 or other
known device for best price vs. performance.

Best regards,
Joe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joseph R. Olson
Cetacean Research Technology
PO Box 70186
Seattle, WA  98127

Sales: 206-297-1310
       877-824-5432 (outside the Seattle local calling area)
Customer Support: 206-973-7979
United Kingdom: 020-7193-7965
FAX: 206-784-0557
Mobile: 206-650-8676

www.cetaceanresearch.com

Cetacean Research Technology is a strategic partner of:
    Sound Technology, Inc.
      Spectra Group - Signal Analysis Division
                and
    Sensor Technology, Ltd.
      Marine Mammal and Bioacoustics Division