[no subject]

To: <>
From: Carlos Ruiz <>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:15:42 -0400 (EDT)
<>
Subject: making playback CDs
Date: Fri,  7 Oct 2005 11:13:11 EDT
Sender:

Hello to all,

Perhaps someone can help me here. I want to use playbacks of long calls
for a survey of golden lion tamarins in Brazil. I have recorded calls
using a Sennheiser mic (MKH-67) and a Marantz PMD630 (minidisk). I
digitized the calls using RAVEN.  I filtered the calls (bandpass) and
adjusted the RMS values to 1023 so that all calls (I have 8 different
calls) would have the same rms.

Then I copied the calls into a CD and tried to play them back with a
Discman attached to amplified speakers.  The calls sound badly
distorted, even through the headphones, even after I lowered the RMS
values to 400.  The calls sound fine on the computer and when played
from my home CD player.

Is this a limitation of CDs, discman, or a problem of voltage from
computer to discmans?

Thank you

Carlos Ruiz

Dr. Carlos R. Ruiz-Miranda