Re: Timing problems with USB sound cards

To: <>
Subject: Re: Timing problems with USB sound cards
From: Harold Mills <>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:00:48 -0400
We have seen the same sort of problem that Doug reports for USB devices with PCI sound cards when the recording CPU is heavily utilized. As he suggested, I suspect the problem is that the CPU is so busy doing other things that it doesn't have time to process some of the incoming audio data before they are no longer available.

As far as I know, there is often no way for an application to detect dropped samples other than to try to compare the number of samples it has received during a recording to the number expected given the purported sample rate. Unfortunately this is usually not very accurate, especially over shorter time periods, since it's not possible to obtain either the precise duration of a recording or the precise number of samples that a sound card has converted. For example, it may not be possible for an application to account for samples buffered on the sound card, in its driver, in the host operating system, and/or within an audio API.

We have also seen a recording duration computed from the number of samples received and the purported sample rate differ from real time at a small but roughly constant rate, even when the recording CPU is lightly utilized. I suspect that this is due to small inaccuracies in the A/D clock.

    Harold Mills
    Bioacoustics Research Program
    Cornell Lab of Ornithology