RE: tapeless recorders

Subject: RE: tapeless recorders
From: Cetacean Research Technology <>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:35:25 -0800
tapeless recorders.

 > Marantz PMD671 (announced, maybe vaporware) Evolution of the
 > PMD670 with sampling capabilities extended to 24 bits, 96 kHz.

 I've talked with Marantz about this device. It does exist and is not just in
 beta-test.  It is actually in production now and the first units should
 start shipping in March.  A few other features that the 671 has over the 670
 are: larger sample rate selection (down to lower frequencies than 670),
 "virtual 3-head" so you can monitor while you record, ability to play back
 previously recorded section while still recording, and I believe that it has
 editing capabilities onboard.  It will cost more than the PMD670

 > Edirol R1
 > 44.1 kHz only, no XLR inputs

 This device is a good low-cost option for high-resolution recordings since
 it samples at 24-bits. It records to compact flash cards.  Unfortunately, it
 will only record in stereo, so half the memory is thrown away when recording
 with a single microphone/hydrophone.

 > Edirol R4
 > 24 bits, up to 96 kHz, records 2/4 channels to compact flash
 > (CF) media, 4 mic preamplifiers with P48 power.

 This device actually records to an internal 40GB hard drive. Therefore,
 recording times are can be very long. It has EQ and editing capability
 onboard.

 > The Fostex FR2 records to CF media.

 The FR-2 also records to PCMCIA flash disks, which have a higher memory
 capacity than the compact flash cards.

 Happy recording!
 Joe

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Joseph R. Olson
 Cetacean Research Technology
 PO Box 70186
 Seattle, WA  98127

 TEL: 206-297-1310
      877-824-5432 (outside the Seattle local calling area)
 FAX: 206-784-0557
 Mobile: 206-650-8676
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 www.cetaceanresearch.com

 Cetacean Research Technology is a strategic partner of
 Sound Technology, Inc.
 Spectra Group - Signal Analysis Division