www.fonozoo.com -- A new Animal Sound Library

Subject: www.fonozoo.com -- A new Animal Sound Library
From: Rafael Marquez <>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:44:00 -0700
<tt>I want to announce that "Fonoteca Zoologica," the Animal Sound
 Library of the National Museum of Natural History of Madrid (Spain),
 has now started its web page:</tt><br>
 <tt>In this web page you will be able to search taxonomically the two
 databases on animal sounds we have:  A collection of published
 recordings where more than 17.000 tracks are listed (about 60% of the
 commercial audio CDs, cassettes, and LPs included in the collection),
 and our more modest collection of original recordings with about 3000
 recordings deposited in our scientific collection (more than slightly
 biased towards frog and toad calls, which is my own research
 interest).  Only the information about the recordings is included in
 the database (sound files are not included).</tt><br>
 <tt>The edition of analog recordings, and the taxonomic indexing has been
 the work of several cohorts of volunteers over the last three years,
 and the task is still in progress as we have considerable material
 awaiting for processing and for deposit in the collections.</tt><br>
 <tt>The primary purpose of this web-page is scientific: to make available
 to the scientific community the information gathered by all the
 nature recordists that have published or commercialized their
 recordings, and to ensure that the recorded material is preserved in
 the best possible manner.  No commercial purpose is contemplated: no
 sounds are sold or purchased, only information is provided, and
 published sounds are only released with the permission of the authors
 of the recordings.</tt><br>
 <tt>If you have time to have a look at it and send any comments about the
 page, the collection manager and myself will be happy to consider any
 suggestions for improvement or to correct any mistakes you may want
 to point out.</tt><br>
 <tt>If you have recordings that you may want to deposit, or you may want
 to correct the contact information for the author of some of the
 recordings please feel free to contact us too.</tt><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Warm regards from Madrid and thank you for having a
look at the page.</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Dr. Rafael Marquez
 Fonoteca Zoologica, Dept. de Biodiversidad y Biologia Evolutiva
 Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales (CSIC)
 Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2
 28006 Madrid
 Spain</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 phone +34 91 4111328 ext 1257
 fax +34 91 5645078
 www.fonozoo.com</pre><br>