bioacoustics article: Animal Biology

Subject: bioacoustics article: Animal Biology
From: Tomasz Osiejuk <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:28:25 -0700
<tt>Osiejuk, T.S. & Olech, B. 2004. Amplitude spectra of Corncrake calls: what
 do they signalise? Anim. Biol. 54: 207-220.</tt><br>
 <tt>Abstract. The territorial call of Corncrake (Crex crex) males is a
 disyllabic, loud, pulse repetition signal repeated in long series at night.
 It seems to be relatively simple as it lacks the repertoire variation
 typical for passerines, but still seems to be an equivalent of territorial
 and/or advertisement song. In this paper we tested: (1) whether the pattern
 of energy distribution within the call (i.e. amplitude spectrum) is
 individually invariant; (2) whether it could be a signal used in an
 individual recognition system; and (3) whether it is a sexually selected
 honest trait related to male body size. We found that amplitude spectra
 varied more between than within males, but it is rather unlikely that
 energy distribution is a single feature encoding identity of a male. We
 found some weak correlations between body size parameters and variables
 describing amplitude spectra, either supporting or contradicting the
 expected relationship (i.e. larger male ? more energy in lower
 frequencies). We also found that the frequency of maximal amplitude, even
 within a single call, may rapidly change by a few kHz, which is most
 probably an effect of head and body movements, not changes in sound
 production itself. The conclusion is that all features of Corncrake calls,
 including energy distribution, indicate that this signal has evolved under
 a strong pressure towards precise localization of a sender, which is
 understandable, as Corncrakes inhabit dense vegetation and call almost
 exclusively at night.</tt><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;"><br>____________________
 Tomasz S. Osiejuk, PhD</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Dept. Animal Morphology
 Adam Mickiewicz University
 28 Czerwca 1956 / 198
 61-485 Poznan, Poland
 phone +48 61 8292913