Re: Hawai'i, and archiving bat calls

Subject: Re: Hawai'i, and archiving bat calls
From: Jill Soha <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:00:11 -0800
order
 > to preserve and curate calls at the University of Colorado's Natural History
 > Museum. I would appreciate any information out there on format/procedure for
 > archiving sound data.

         Hi Lauren,
         We at the Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics are working on
 adding some bat recordings to our archive.  All of our other
 recordings are digitized at 50 kHz, which is clearly a lot lower than
 the sample rate of the bat recordings.  For us, adding recordings to
 the archive and adding the associated data to our database have been
 closely linked procedures, and we'll have to separate these procedures
 to incorporate the higher-sample-rate sounds.  I don't think this is
 of concern to you, though.  For general information on our collection
 and our digitizing process, you can browse our web site:

 <a  href="http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu";
rel="nofollow">http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu</a>  (general)
 <a  href="http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu/digital.html";
rel="nofollow">http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu/digital.html</a> (digitizing)

 While not bat-centered, perhaps you will find some information on
 sound archiving that might be useful to you.  Feel free to contact me
 with any specific questions as you proceed.

         - Jill Soha

 Dr. Jill Soha, Curator
 Borror Laboratory of Bioacoustics (<a  href="http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu";
rel="nofollow">http://blb.biosci.ohio-state.edu</a>)
 The Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity
 1315 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH  43212    (614) 292-2176