Bioacoustic articles: Behaviour 140 (7)

Subject: Bioacoustic articles: Behaviour 140 (7)
From: Reeflab <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:15:45 -0800
<a
href="http://caliban.ingentaselect.com/vl=137000/cl=27/nw=1/rpsv/cw/www/brill/0005";

rel="nofollow">http://caliban.ingentaselect.com/vl=137000/cl=27/nw=1/rpsv/cw/www/brill/0005</a>
 7959/v140n7/contp1-1.htm

 (see Abstracts below)

 Lodé, T. & D. Le Jacques 2003. Influence of advertisement calls on
 reproductive success in the male midwife toad Alytes obstetricans.
 Bahavioiur 140: 885-898.

 Devinney, B.J.,  C.M. Berman & K.L.R. Rasmussen 2003. Individual differences
 (Macaca mulatta) on Cayo Santiago. Behaviour 140: 899-924.

 Slabbekoorn, H., A. Jesse & D.A. Bell 2003. Microgeographic song variation
 in island populations of the white-crowned sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys
 nutalli): innovation through recombination. Behaviour 140: 947-963.

 ----------------------------------
 Abstracts

 Lodé, T. & D. Le Jacques 2003. Influence of advertisement calls on
 reproductive success in the male midwife toad Alytes obstetricans.
 Bahavioiur 140: 885-898.

 Considering the advertisement call in anuran as a sexually selected trait,
 we investigated the effects of male call parameters on reproductive success
 in midwife toad Alytes obstetricans. The pattern of advertisement call was
 studied in 81 males. The mean fundamental frequency varied among males.
 Fundamental frequency, call duration and male size correlated with the male
 mating success. From the stepwise regression analysis, the low call
 frequency was found to influence significantly the number of carried eggs
 and the hatching success. The fact that a single male may fertilise the eggs
 of several females and a single female may mate with several males
 constitutes an original sexual system. Large males obtained more matings and
 showed a higher hatching success. Female choice for dominant frequency may
 be regarded as a related-fitness trait being correlated with male size.
 Anyway, the male size and the female choice for low calls result in a same
 evolutionary trend favouring a best fitness.

 Devinney, B.J.,  C.M. Berman & K.L.R. Rasmussen 2003. Individual differences
 (Macaca mulatta) on Cayo Santiago. Behaviour 140: 899-924.

 The birth of a younger sibling is a normal event in the life of a nonhuman
 primate, yet commonly it is thought to be a stressful transition for the
 older sibling. In our previous research, we found that yearling rhesus
 monkeys (Macaca mulatta) experienced increases in one mild form of distress
 but no significant increases in overt forms of distress, in spite of
 significant reductions in mother-yearling interaction. Nevertheless, some
 individual yearlings were distressed by this transition and here we examine
 variables that may structure individual differences in distress. We observed
 31 yearling rhesus monkeys on Cayo Santiago, Puerto Rico, during the month
 before and month after their siblings' births using focal animal sampling
 methods. Attachment theory (Bowlby, 1969), parent-offspring conflict theory
 (Trivers, 1974), and dynamic assessment models (Bateson, 1994) all predict a
 relationship between reduction in maternal care and increase in offspring
 distress, yet no previous study of sibling birth in primates has examined
 this relationship. We found that the reduction in the proportion of time on
 the nipple from the month before sibling birth to the month after was
 related to the rate of geckering (a distress vocalization) after sibling
 birth, and that the increase in time out of sight of the mother was related
 to the proportion of time yearlings spent in a tense state after sibling
 birth. Maternal aggression after sibling birth also was related to the
 yearlings' rate of geckering. Yearling distress was related to qualities of
 the mother-yearling relationship, in that yearlings that had relatively
 greater responsibility for maintaining proximity with their mothers before
 sibling birth were relatively more tense afterwards. Yearlings displayed
 increases in play, grooming, and contact with group members other than the
 mother after sibling birth, suggesting a marked shift toward greater
 maturity in their social relationships.

 Slabbekoorn, H., A. Jesse & D.A. Bell 2003. Microgeographic song variation
 in island populations of the white-crowned sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys
 nutalli): innovation through recombination. Behaviour 140: 947-963.

 Current geographic variation in bird song dialects may be used to infer
 historical processes involved in dialect formation. Discrete island
 populations, separated by water or unsuitable habitat, may be particularly
 useful as they allow for unequivocal subdivision of populations. We analyzed
 song recordings of nine populations of the white-crowned sparrow within the
 San Francisco Bay area, both on 'true' islands separated by water and in
 habitat islands along the Bay shore. We found one or two unique songtypes in
 each population with little variation within songtypes among individuals.
 Differences in songtypes concerned variation in syntax, syllable shapes, and
 spectral and temporal features. While each songtype exhibited unique
 features, there were often parts of the song that showed high similarity
 with songtypes of neighboring populations. We think that successfully
 dispersing males may learn from multiple tutors and produce songtype hybrids
 which could explain the variation in songtypes among populations. We found
 rare acoustic features on the 'true' islands, but also an apparent lack of
 impact by water barriers on the relationship between song similarity and
 geographic distance. A possible explanation may be that male dispersal, or
 just spread of song characteristics, is predominantly from island to
 mainland. Such a unidirectional pattern could result in rare song
 characteristics on islands, while general acoustic characteristics are still
 shared with the nearest mainland populations. Variation in similarity-based
 clustering of songtypes suggested that new songtypes emerge through
 recombination of components from existing songtypes.