Re: converting mono to multi channel

Subject: Re: converting mono to multi channel
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:03:04 -0700

 >Does anybody know of software that will convert multiple mono wave files
 >into interleaved multichannel wav files?  I think it can be done with
 >Matlab.

 In Matlab, you can do something like this:

     [x1,fs,nbits] = wavread('channel1.wav');
     x2 = wavread('channel2.wav');
     x3 = wavread('channel3.wav');
     x4 = wavread('channel4.wav');
     wavwrite([x1 x2 x3 x4], fs, nbits, 'channels1-4.wav');

 [This code is fairly straightforward, but why does this work for
 floating-point WAVE files?  It works because wavread returns nbits=32 for
 those files; then in the call to wavwrite, nbits=32 is a special value
 telling Matlab to write out floats.  If your source files have 16-bit
 integer samples, Matlab will write out 16-bit integer samples, for
 analogous reasons.]

 >I'm converting TDIF format from a Tascam DA 38 direct to wav files
 >via a Tascam Delta TDIF card.  Then I am attempting to load multiple
 >channels into the sound localization software Ishmael. However, Ishmael will
 >only accept two channels at a time from the Delta TDIF Card. I can
 >simultaneously digitize mulitple channels with Cool Edit Pro from the Tascam
 >TDIF card and save them to individual wav files. But the multichannel
 >interleaving function in Cool Edit is not compatible (IEEE float format)
 >with Ishmael which requires PCM, MULAW or FLOAT formats. I'm not sure this
 >FLOAT is the same as IEEE float, at any rate it does not work.

 Ishmael's float is indeed an IEEE float, and it should work.  I just tried
 a multichannel WAVE file with float samples in it, and it worked okay....
 Can you send me a smallish example of a float-sample WAVE file (either
 single- or multi-channel) that doesn't work?  I'll try to figure out what's
 going on.

 Dave
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]