Mic for recording birds song

Subject: Mic for recording birds song
From: Stuart Parsons <>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 08:35:39 -0800
 I am about to embark on a project recording Kiwis (Apteryx mantelli),
 having spent many years recording bat echolocation. I would like to ask
 for your collective advice on a good mic/amp system for making the
 recordings in the field. Our lab currently has some Nakamichi mics but
 the amplification on them appears to be very poor. Workable recordings
 can only be made through the Mic socket of our recorders (a DAT or Sony
 Professional Walkman). Due to gain automatic control common to many Mic
 sockets (is this still the case?), I favour the line-in socket and so am
 having trouble making usable recordings.

 My questions are 2-fold:

 1) What would be a good directional mic/amp to use for these recordings
 (calls centre around 1-4 kHz and are quite loud)
 2) Am I correct to avoid the Mic-in socket?

 Many thanks,
 Stuart

 Dr. Stuart Parsons

 Behaviour, Ecology & Conservation Research Group
 School of Biological Sciences
 University of Auckland
 Private Bag 92019
 Auckland