RE: Ultrasound playback setup

Subject: RE: Ultrasound playback setup
From: ONeill, William <>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:21:27 -0800
Regarding the question of "duplex opportunity" with the TDT RP2:  We haven't
 done it (yet), but it should be no problem. The duplex mode is often used
 for calibrating loudspeakers in our lab, but we've only done that using
 TDT's older "System 2" hardware, which uses separate A/D and D/A modules
 controlled by a central DSP card.

 The biggest limitation of the RP2 is running out of clock cycles.  Each
 "device" in software takes up clock cycles.  If you program an elaborate
 recording/playback device (e.g., with signal conditioning, temporal
 windowing, thresholding, etc) you can run out of cycles when using the
 system at it's maximum sample rate (200 kHz).  In our lab, we use the device
 mainly to generate complex ultrasonic acoustic stimuli.  If we were
 recording signals simultaneously, we would surely run out of clock cycles if
 we were using only a single RP2.  The solution is to add more RP2's to the
 setup, and split the tasks across them.

 We have been able to playback very long ultrasonic signals (lasting some
 minutes) with the RP2, but we had to roll through a double-buffered memory
 structure and use their high-speed USB interface to do it without
 interuptions.

 Regarding dynamic loudspeakers, we've had good luck with leaf tweeters
 (e.g., Panasonic EAS 200).  They were hard to come by, heavy, and don't
 tolerate overdriving at all.  But they have excellent and broad frequency
 response (1 - 100 kHz) and a reasonably brief impulse response, and don't
 require DC bias like electrostatic speakers.

 William E. O'Neill, Ph.D.
 Bat Auditory Research Lab
 Dept. of Neurobiology & Anatomy
 Univ. of Rochester Sch. of Med. and Dent.
 Rochester, NY 14642-8603 USA

 Phone: (585) 275-4023
 FAX: (585) 756-5334