FAQ for Bioacoustics-L

Subject: FAQ for Bioacoustics-L
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 21:20:45 -0700
 Frequently Asked Questions for Bioacoustics-L
          3. How do I send messages to Bioacoustics-L?
          4. What are appropriate postings for Bioacoustics-L?
          5. Can I post messages in Spanish/Swahili/Sanskrit/...?
          6. How do I see old messages?
          7. What are appropriate topics for the list?
          8. How do I get further information about the list?
          9. How do I help avoid electronic junk mail?
         10. Why did my Bioacoustics-L subscription stop?

 1. How do I get further information about bioacoustics?

     See the web page for the "Animal Bioacoustics" section of the
     Acoustical Society of America:

         <a  href="http://cetus.pmel.noaa.gov/Bioacoustics.html";
rel="nofollow">http://cetus.pmel.noaa.gov/Bioacoustics.html</A>

     It contains web pages about these and other subjects:

         * what bioacoustics is
         * hardware and software for bioacoustics
         * journals
         * conferences
         * centers for bioacoustics research
         * sound libraries
         * newsgroups

     [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message contents of

         SUBSCRIBE Bioacoustics-L <your real name>

     and you'll be automatically included in the list of
     subscribers.  Be sure to use your real name, rather than your
     email address, like this:

         SUBSCRIBE Bioacoustics-L Albert Einstein

     The mailing-list software automatically gets your email address
     from the header of your message.  The subject line is ignored.
     Note that the software tries to interpret EVERY line of the
     message body as a command, so any "signature" text appended by
     your mailer will confuse it.

     When you first subscribe, you will receive a list password,
     which is a string of digits.  Save this password, and use it to
     change your email address, like this:

         SET Bioacoustics-L ADDRESS <password> <new email address>

     To stop getting messages from the list, send a message like this:

         UNSUBSCRIBE Bioacoustics-L

 3. How do I send messages to Bioacoustics-L?

     To send mail to everyone on the list, address your message to
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     Please put your full name and email address somewhere inside each
     message you post.  The various mail-forwarding programs between
     you and the readers of Bioacoustics-L often change or remove lines
     in the message header, making it impossible for readers to tell
     who sent a message.  If you put text in the body of the message
     identifying yourself and saying how to contact you, this won't be
     a problem.  Nearly all mail-sending programs have some facility
     for defining a "signature" file that gets appended to every
     outgoing message.

     NOTE!  Please be careful when replying to a message received from
     the list.  Your mail program may automatically reply to
     [EMAIL PROTECTED], making your message go out to everyone
     on the list.  It's quite easy to make the mistake of replying to a
     message and thinking you're mailing only to the sender of the
     message, when in actuality you're sending to the entire list.
     Before sending your message, please double check the "To:" line.

     For administrative messages, such as for unsubscribing, see
     question 2 above.

 4. What are appropriate postings for Bioacoustics-L?

     First, please observe network etiquette.  A good introduction to
     it is found at

         <a  href="http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3";
rel="nofollow">http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3</A>

     When posting, please take care to ensure that your message is
     relevant.  Before you post, consider these things:

     - Are my words important and interesting enough to take up 900+
       people's time?
     - Would private email work about as well?
     - Can I find the answer to my question reasonably quickly by other
       means, such as a literature search?  Please do not use the list
       merely because you don't have a convenient library, or because
       you haven't checked it yet.
     - Does my message contribute something either scientifically or
       technically?
     - If it's scientific, does it talk about a hypothesis that could
       be disproven?  Personal observations are sometimes acceptable,
       but only if they relate to a disprovable hypothesis.
     - If it's technical, is it about something, such as field or lab
       equipment, that will be interesting to a significant fraction of
       the list readers?
     - Is it polite?  Especially, do not answer rudeness with more rudeness.
     - Is the subject line informative?
     - Is it about acoustics?  In large part, messages about animal
       feelings and about human feelings around animals belong
       elsewhere.

     The first item in this list is the most important.  Before you
     post, please CONSIDER CAREFULLY what you are saying, and think
     about whether you are adding enough to the discussion to be worth
     that many people's time.  Imagine you are standing in front of an
     audience of 900 people, and think again about whether you need to
     post your message.

     Please do NOT post messages about whether someone else's message
     was appropriate for the list, polite, correctly punctuated, etc.
     Such comments are almost never interesting to other people on the
     list, and should be sent by private email.  If you think that
     someone else is getting away with poor behavior, send a message to
     the list manager ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), who will
     probably already have reminded the offending person about
     reasonable Internet behavior.

 5. Can I post messages in Spanish/Swahili/Sanskrit/...?

     The preferred language of Bioacoustics-L is English.  Postings in
     other languages are acceptable, but if at all possible, please
     provide an English translation of your message.  To keep the
     number of messages low, please include the translation in the
     original posting.

     If you see a posting that lacks an English version and wish to
     contribute a translation, please send it to the list manager
     ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), who will make sure that only
     one translation gets posted.

 6. Is there a way to see old messages?

     Messages that have been sent to Bioacoustics-L are archived at

        <A
HREF="http://www.mail-archive.com/bioacoustics-l%40cornell.edu/";>http://www.mail-archive.com/bioacoustics-l%40cornell.edu/</A>

     This archive has been in use only since mid-February 2002.  Older
     messages are unfortunately not available.

     related to the scientific study of sound in the natural world,
     including animal communication, sonar, acoustic behavior, sound
     production, hearing physiology and auditory processes, signal
     processing for bioacoustics, the impact of noise on animals,
     acoustic tracking, and any other topics that may come up.
     Discussion of experimental methods and equipment, queries for
     information, announcements of results, and raising of public
     policy questions answerable by science are all welcome.

     Advertising is not acceptable on the list.  The only type of
     announcement that should appear is if a major new product is
     introduced.  Then, a one- or two-line notice, with a pointer to
     further information (web page or email address), is acceptable.
     Minor additions to existing product lines or changes to web pages
     to not warrant a new message.  People who advertise a company's
     wares on Bioacoustics-L excessively will be removed from the
     list.

     Announcements of job openings are welcome, but postings for jobs
     wanted are not.

     as telling the list processor to send daily digests instead of
     immediately forwarding every message as it comes in, point your
     WWW browser at the ListProc Guide:

         <a  href="http://www.cren.net/listproc/docs/usercard.html";
rel="nofollow">http://www.cren.net/listproc/docs/usercard.html</A>

     If you have any questions about Bioacoustics-L, contact the
     list manager (currently Dave Mellinger) by sending email to
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     If you have any questions about the Cornell list server, contact
     the list server manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     contribute to it.  Some companies sell lists of email addresses
     for junk mailings.  Though it is against Cornell's rules (and
     possibly the law), it's possible for these companies to get
     addresses from the Bioacoustics-L subscribers list.  By sending
     the command

             review bioacoustics-l

     to [EMAIL PROTECTED], these companies could get a list of
     current subscribers.

     Starting September 1996, the subscribers list is available only to
     those currently on the list.  This restriction puts at least one
     roadblock up for email-address collectors.  The option also exists
     to make the subscribers list completely hidden, so that not even
     subscribers can see it, but hopefully that option won't be needed.

     If you don't want to appear on the subscribers list at all, you
     can send the command

             set bioacoustics-l conceal yes

     to [EMAIL PROTECTED]; then no one will see your email address.
     (Except me, the list manager, and I'm not about to send the
     subscribers list out to anyone.)

     To undo this command, and reset it to the default state, do

             set bioacoustics-l conceal no

     undeliverable, which happens (among other times) when your email
     in-box fills up.  Mailers send 3-5 messages back to me, the list
     owner, for every undeliverable message.  Because of the level of
     traffic on Bioacoustics-L and the number of subscribers, I get
     quite a lot of these messages.  To avoid getting flooded with
     messages, I have to delete undeliverable addresses quickly,
     typically a day or two after messages start to bounce.

     So if you find no Bioacoustics-L messages for a few days or a
     week, try subscribing to the list again.  See question 1, above,
     for how to do it.

    This FAQ page is maintained by Dave Mellinger, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Please send email about any needed additions and corrections.