Duck and goose hearing

Subject: Duck and goose hearing
From: Russ Charif <>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:11:32 -0700
This query is posted for Dr. Rich Malecki, in the Cornell University
 Dept. of Natural Resources. If you can assist, please respond
 directly to him ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

 Thanks,
 --Russ Charif

 --- begin forwarded text

 >>>I'm working with some folks in Canada who are looking at the
 >>>impact of low level military aircraft training flights on
 >>>waterfowl in Labrador.  One of the things that they are doing is
 >>>measuring noise levels at various distances from spring staging,
 >>>breeding, and molting flocks. They are then monitoring behavior.
 >>>Primary species are black ducks, Canada geese, and surf scoters.
 >>>One of the interesting things to date is that no one has really
 >>>found anything of significance.  Birds either become habituated to
 >>>the noise or for some reason it doesn't appear to affect them.

 --- end forwarded text

 Russ Charif                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bioacoustics Research Program              <a
href="http://birds.cornell.edu/BRP/";
rel="nofollow">http://birds.cornell.edu/BRP/</A>
 Cornell Lab of Ornithology                 VOICE: 607-254-2408
 159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.                    FAX:   607-254-2415
 Ithaca, NY  14850
 USA