Re: quantifying habitat with acoustics?

Subject: Re: quantifying habitat with acoustics?
From: Charlie Escher <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:58:08 -0700
Tania Siemens wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > My name is Tania Siemens and I am studying the way in which fish
 > habitat is
 > changed by an invasive aquatic weed in a mangrove lagoon in the Galapagos
 > Islands.  I would like to use acoustics to characterize the vertical
 > structure of habitat.  I think it might be possible to lower a sideways
 > looking (small) acoustic device and record the images, which would
 > function as a index of habitat
 > structure.  This way I could quantitatively compare this habitat
 > structure (heterogeneity vs. homogeneity) to invaded (grass) and non
 > invaded
 > (mangroves) sites.
 >
 > Do you know of any such acoustic devise that might work for me?  Can you
 > refer me to someone who has done a similar study or might be able to give
 > me some direction?

 Hi Tania,

 Take a look at this site:
 <a  href="http://www.apl.washington.edu/programs/DIDSON/DIDSON.html";
rel="nofollow">http://www.apl.washington.edu/programs/DIDSON/DIDSON.html</A> .
Feel free to
 email me off list for more information. I have used this device
 extensively for fish behavior and identification studies. We have a
 somewhat similar project in mind related to eelgrass distribution and
 the  Washington State ferry system.

 --
 Charlie Escher
 Sr. Electronics Technician