quantifying habitat with acoustics?

Subject: quantifying habitat with acoustics?
From: Tania Siemens <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:11:43 -0700
Hello,

 My name is Tania Siemens and I am studying the way in which fish habitat is
 changed by an invasive aquatic weed in a mangrove lagoon in the Galapagos
 Islands.  I would like to use acoustics to characterize the vertical
 structure of habitat.  I think it might be possible to lower a sideways
 looking (small) acoustic device and record the images, which would function
 as a index of habitat
 structure.  This way I could quantitatively compare this habitat structure
 (heterogeneity vs. homogeneity) to invaded (grass) and non invaded
 (mangroves) sites.

 Do you know of any such acoustic devise that might work for me?  Can you
 refer me to someone who has done a similar study or might be able to give
 me some direction?

 Thank you,

 Tania Siemens

 Tania J. Siemens                                                        Phone:
(607)
 255-3191
 Graduate Student                                                        Fax:
(607)
 255-0349
 Department of Natural Resources                                 Email:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Fernow Hall, Cornell University
 Ithaca, NY  14853